Athletic Placement Process (APP)
The Albion Central School is proud to offer its students a wide range of options for athletic involvement including opportunities for those students in the 7th and 8th grade.
We encourage the majority of our students at the junior high level to compete at the modified level, but we also recognize that there are a select few exceptional student-athletes with the athletic ability and sport specific skill to play at the junior varsity and varsity level. This is a coach and Athletic Director driven process where coaches will invite those select student-athletes, after a skills day completion, to try out for a junior varsity or varsity team. In order for seventh and eighth graders to compete interscholastically at the high school level, these athletes must pass the Athletic Placement Process (APP) as mandated by the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA).
It is very important to note that involvement in the skills day event and a successful completion of the Athletic Placement Process simply allows the student-athlete to try out for the high school team and does not guarantee the student a spot on the final roster!
The Athletic Placement Process utilizes the President's Physical Fitness Test, and student-athletes will need to meet the 85th percentile level for their age in 4 out of 5 test components. This fitness test is designed to assess speed, agility, flexibility, upper body strength, and aerobic conditioning.
Parents/guardians are cautioned that even though their child may be physically ready, it does not mean that he/she will be emotionally or socially ready to handle the stress of high school competition or the social interaction with older athletes. Although coaches at Albion Central School place a high priority on assimilating all students into the team structure, this does not necessarily mean younger student-athletes are comfortable in this environment. If you or the child has any reservations about competing at the high school level, then it is highly recommended that this child remain at the modified level.
The purpose of this statewide program is to determine the level of physical fitness students have when compared to those older athletes your son/daughter will be competing against at the high school level. If your child is seeking to be a member of a junior varsity or varsity high school team, he/she will need to complete every one of the steps outlined below. Please note, this program is designed for the exceptional athlete, the specific talent and conditioning level required will be well above the level of average athletes of a similar age.
The following steps must be completed in order for a 7th or 8th grader to try out at the high school level:
- Sport Skill Evaluation: The Albion Coaching Staff for that particular sport will complete an evaluation of the student-athlete during the sports specific skills day the athletes must attend.
- Administrative Approval: The Athletic Director, Middle School Nurse and Middle School Principal will assess the physical, emotional, social, and academic readiness of the student-athlete. Emphasis will be placed on the impact the increased demands of participation in high school sports will place on the student's academic performance as well as the likelihood that he/she will be a starter or be a contributor to the contest.
- Parent/Guardian Permission: All students who are to be evaluated must first obtain written parent/guardian permission, provided by the Athletic Director.
- Sports Clearance: A completed Interval Health History form and a current Physical Exam must be submitted to the Nurses Office as well as parent approval to participate in sports for the upcoming season.
- Medical Clearance: The Nurses Office will determine the student-athlete's physical maturity level and if it is appropriate for the student to compete at a higher level. The Nurses Office will compare the physical size of the student in relation to that of the students against whom the student will compete as well as the Tanner Scale when making this decision.
- Physical Fitness Testing: Once steps 1-5 are completed satisfactory, the student-athlete and Middle School Physical Education Teacher will schedule the physical fitness test. The student-athlete will need to meet the 85th percentile level for their age in 4 out of 5 test components of the President's Physical Fitness Test. The test can be seen below.
- Qualification Determination: The results of the three evaluations (medical, sport skill, and physical fitness) will be evaluated by the Athletic Director for final approval. Only students who have successfully completed all aspects of the Athletic Placement Process will be allowed to participate in high school tryouts. This does not guarantee them a spot on the team.