Information for Parents:
Emergencies in schools must be addressed quickly and effectively. Each school district in New York State creates and implements an emergency plan in response to the Safe Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE) law. Project SAVE is a comprehensive planning effort that addresses prevention, response, and recovery with respect to a variety of emergencies in schools.
The Albion Central School District's plan details specific procedures on how to handle various emergencies. The District regularly practices emergency procedures by having periodic fire drills, lockdown drills, and evacuation drills. This ensures that all District staff members and students know what to do and where they need to go in case of a real emergency.
When the District is having a lockdown drill or an emergency, no one is allowed to enter or exit the buildings (this includes students, staff, parents, visitors and volunteers). Students can not be released to go home or to appointments during a lockdown. During a fire drill or evacuation drill/emergency, students can not be signed out to go home.
If there is a real emergency, information will be shared with the public as it becomes known to the District. Whenever possible, letters are sent home with students detailing the nature of the incident and how it was handled by the District.
How can you help us in an emergency and/or drill?
- Please do not drive to the campus in an emergency. Driveways will be blocked to allow for emergency vehicle access if needed.
- Please do not go to your child's building and try to sign him/her out in an emergency. We can not release your child to you and you may indeed put yourself in danger depending on the situation.
- If you happen to arrive at a building during a drill, please be patient. We can not release your child to you until completion of the drill.
- Please do not call the school to inquire about the emergency. It is important that we keep our phone lines open and available to police, fire and other emergency organizations.
- Please go to the Town of Albion offices on Clarendon Road for information regarding an emergency. A school staff member will be on site and available to share information with you as it becomes available. It is important that the energy and time of school and law enforcement personnel is directed to the emergency. If parents congregate at one location, we can accomplish this task.
Thank you for your anticipated assistance with emergencies and drills. By doing your part, you are helping us to stay focused on what we need to do to keep our children safe.