The mission of health education at Albion High School is for all students to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to independently make healthy and responsible choices regarding their personal wellness throughout their lifetime. Wellness encompasses physical, mental, emotional social, spiritual and environmental areas of a person’s life.
Health is a graduation requirement and open to grades 9-12, ½ credit.
The aim of health education is to facilitate the development of a positive interaction of knowledge, attitudes, and behavior necessary to attain and maintain a level of health that is commensurate with the medical and scientific advancements of our times. The course provides each person with a firm understanding of ten conceptual areas as described in the State Education Department's health education syllabus. These ten conceptual areas represent the competencies needed for lifetime health maintenance and promotion:
1) Mental Health
3) Personal Fitness
5) Family Life Education
6) Consumer Health
7) Alcohol, Tobacco and other Drugs
8) First Aid and Safety
9) Community Health
10) Diseases and Disorders
As a result of participating in health, students will be able to independently:
- Access, evaluate, and reflect on the personal use of valid health information, products and services.
- Apply critical thinking and decision making skills to enhance personal wellness.
- Effectively communicate with others to enhance and advocate for their personal wellness.
- Generate safe and healthy solutions when confronted with life’s problems and/or challenges.
- Recognize, manage, and take responsibility for their emotions and behaviors.
- Be on time and prepared for class
- Complete all assigned classwork, homework, projects and tests
- Actively participate in class
- Observe all district policies outlined in the student code of conduct
- Be mindful of others and treat them with respect
New York State Learning Standards for Health, Physical Education, and Family and Consumer Sciences:
Standard 1 - Personal Health and Fitness
Students will have the necessary knowledge and skills to establish and maintain physical fitness, participate in physical activity, and maintain personal health.
Standard 2 - A Safe and Healthy Environment
Students will acquire the knowledge and ability necessary to create and maintain a safe and healthy environment.
Standard 3 - Resource Management
Students will understand and be able to manage their personal and community resources.